Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Godfather- Mario Puzo

This was my first try at reading mafia books. I kinda liked it.


The Godfather begins with some people having certain problems that can't be solved by normal means or with the help of the authorities. So who do they turn to? The Godfather, Don Corleone. He is the head of the Corleone family, the most powerful family in New York. The Don is a kind and understanding man who helps people out for apparently nothing except a future favor. 


But soon, he finds himself in trouble after he refuses to do a deal with a man called Sollozzo in narcotics. Sollozzo turns to other the families for help. They thing narcotics is the new breakthrough in the trade and want to put a firm hand in it. In order to do this, they have to bump off Don Corleone, who doesn't extend his support to them. But their attempt goes wrong and he survives. Soon, all the families are involved in the Five Family War. 


The story doesn't end there, but I won't go any further. I found the story quite fascinating. I liked how each character was developed. I could actually understand their personalities. I have some friends who found the middle of the story quite boring. This was when the history of the Don was described. I thought this part was one of the best segments in the book. It helped me understand how the Don came to be who he was, and clarified the story.


The Godfather is a book which some may like, while others may not. It all depends on one's tastes. But I think people should try this book out anyway, whether its their type of genre or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment