Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Freakonomics- Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner

My edition of the book has 200 pages. These 200 pages took me one whole month to read. This surprised me considering I can do  a 500 page book in a week.

Freakonomics is a very peculiar book. It takes up seemingly random topics in each chapter. Then explains the topics or shows how they are related. And the topics are quite intriguing.

From this book you will learn what school teachers and sumo wrestlers have in common (they both cheat), how the Klu-Klux Klan are like real-estate agents, why many drug dealers still live with their moms, how the legalization of abortion led to the dramatic fall in crime, what makes a good parent, and how the names of a child affect or indicate the child's social status.

These topics look and sound very interesting. In fact, they are very interesting. The only problem is, the book reads very slowly. Its not a type of book which one can read for an hour straight. It needs to be done in many sittings. Not that it is boring. I just found some parts slow,and some parts hard to digest. The content, however was very nice.

Overall, I was not dissatisfied with the book. I do no recommend this book to anyone who wants some serious reading. This is strictly casual reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment