Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mockingjay- Suzanne Collins

This is the third and final book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. If you haven't read the first two books yet, I wouldn't advise you to read this review just yet. Instead, take a look at my reviews of the first two books- The Hunger Games and Catching Fire.


After escaping the Arena of the Quarter Quell, Katniss finds herself one of the newest residents of District 13, which was supposedly wiped out by the Capitol. She made it out of the Quarter Quell but the experience and the fact that Peeta is a prisoner of the Capitol has left her in a mentally unstable state. She slowly starts to recover, but the slightest provocation could push her over the edge. But with support from her mother, her sister Prim, and her long-time friend Gale, Katniss pushes along. 


She finds that the leaders of District 13 have high hopes about her. She was the one who inspired the other Districts to rebel with her act of defiance in the Hunger Games. So, the leaders want her to be the Mockingjay of the revolution, a person to whom all the Districts could look up to. But Katniss has had enough of the revolution and is sick of how everybody is using and manipulating her. She doesn't want to involve herself anymore in it. But she needs to co-operate if she wants to see one person again- Peeta. 
Also, she will have to decide where her heart lays: with Peeta or with Gale.


Well, I have to say I really liked the first two books, and I was a bit disappointed with this one. I had high hopes for it, bu it didn't really meet my expectations.


The beginning of the book was a radical shift from how the other two books began. It kind of threw me off. The events here were quite vague and didn't really suit the suspense built up in the ending of Catching Fire. 
Next was that a certain speed was lacking. Probably because the first two books were thick in the suspense of the Hunger Games quite early on. 
I also found the narration by Katniss in her mentally disturbed states disorienting. I couldn't focus too much on the book because I was putting it down so often to give myself a break from it.


Although, I suppose this different style is what attracts many readers. After all, the book has gotten a good reception. So, I suggest you try the book out for yourself and see what you think about it. 



1 comment:

  1. Hey I am a follower now:) Visit my blog, if you like: http://misspageturnerscityofbooks.blogspot.com/
    ~
    I have to agree on Mockingjay and the high expectations.I plan to write reviews of all three Hunger Games novels soon, too:) Am curious for your next review...

    ReplyDelete